Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Living with Chronic Pain

It took me a long time to admit that I have chronic pain.  Pain that doesn't end.  Pain that is a constant companion.  Pain that masks new injuries, unless they themselves are more painful than the background noise.

But now that I acknowledge its existence I am learning better how to live with it.  For example, I spent last weekend resting.  After injuring my hands I knew I would need to take it easy, but then was laid flat by a headache.  Two days of nursing my needs for rest left me exhausted, but feeling emotionally okay and ready to face the week.

Then I encountered the poem, Broken, by Angelika Byczkowski, who also lives with EDS.

It helps to know that, when living with a hidden illness and battling chronic pain, we are not alone.  We can be strong, even when we weep.  We can reach out and find others who do understand.
 

No comments: