Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Elbow Dislocation

Ouch!

I've dislocated ankles, wrists and even a hip before. My mom even referred to one shoulder as "permanently dislocated." But this is the first time it has ever hurt THIS much!!

Looks like what happened is I weakened the elbow doing yard work, such is the nature of spring. Then I made the mistake of reaching for something on the table and was hit with an amazing wave of pain! I iced it, rested it, checked it out and knew it had dislocated and managed to reset it a day later, but the pain wouldn't go away.

After another day I called my Dr, and he sent me to an orthopedist. The ortho found that I had reset the elbow but managed to seriously pull the muscles and tendons around it until the elbow was so weak it keeps slipping - hence the continual pain.

He wrapped it and had me measured for yet another brace. This time it is a compression brace, from the same company that makes the shoulder brace I have had wonderful luck with. I'll wear the brace (once it arrives) for several weeks so the elbow can start healing, then begin yet another set of strengthening exercises. At least it wasn't too serious (I was afraid I was finally facing surgery and pins - pushed that one off a while longer :-) )

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Could you please tell me about your shoulder brace?

I have EDS too, and I'm looking for something to help with my shoulders! They slip continuously, and my doctor is at a loss as for what to do. He's willing to try a shoulder brace if I can find another EDSer who has one that works well for them!

Thanks,
~Kali

Unknown said...

Tammy:

I am sorry to hear about your latest dislocation. It sounds quite painful.

Further to what Kali said, can you please send any information you have on shoulder braces and EDS?

My wife continues to dislocate her shoulder and now it seems to just go in and out as it pleases.

Any braces that are helpful would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Eli

OzarksUSA said...

I'm sorry about all the dislocation problems you've been having. I have usually dislocate my jaw or hip. I'm still trying to figure out the difference between a dislocation and a subluxation in some joints. I am being tested in April for EDS, now my dx is Fibro and HMS. Anyway I've been following your blog recently and love it, so I linked to it on my blog. I hope that your joints start doing better. Take care!

tandrew said...

About my brace:

It is a Bauerfeind OmoTrain. It came highly recommended by the brace fitter for my orthopedist. I use the same brand for both my shoulder and elbow.

I've had great luck with both for support, though they do become very warm to wear in the summer! The support combined with physical therapy worked well and I no longer wear either unless I know I will be in a situation that may stress my joints (such as gardening).

Tanvir Asif said...

Great information. This works great for me. Thanks for sharing this :)
straight back